Is inflammation just a buzz word?
Words associated with wellness have a tendency to attract a certain amount of hysteria- inflammation is no different. The presence of inflammation has been linked to so many health problems its hard to keep count; and here we were thinking it was just a part of the body's natural healing response. And while the latter is true, inflammation becomes problematic in excess. Chronic inflammation causes your immune system to wear itself out as it responds to perceived dangers and an eroded immune system leaves you at risk to the development of a number of diseases.
Inflammation from a chiropractor's perspective
For chiropractors, there is one key focus: inflammation as it causes stiff joints and other arthritis symptoms. Wear and tear injuries such as the degradation of joints over time cause your immune system to constantly perceive a threat and chronic inflammation is a natural result. Keeping inflammation down is a key way to lessen the hold of pain and stiffness on your life.
Eating anti-inflammatory is easy
With an anti-inflammatory diet, we are attempting to ease the effects of this low-grade, chronic inflammation. The elements of an anti-inflammatory diet are in line with other healthy diets and it can be delicious. Here are some good ways to start adding anti-inflammatory ingredients into your diet:
- Spice it up: turmeric is well-known for its anti-inflammatory capacities.
- Think fish: cold-water varieties are rich in omega-3 fatty acids which are a powerful anti-inflammatory.
- Focus on antioxidants: the kind you get from fruits, vegetables and green tea.
- Healthy oils and fats: bad fats and vegetable oils have a tendency to raise inflammatory markers in the blood. As an alternative, use olive oil or coconut oil.
When eating anti-inflammatory, try to limit:
- Soda and alcohol
- Processed sugars and fats
- And its always worth repeating, all junk food!
Fighting inflammation in Dunedin, FL
At our office in Dunedin, we want to help you eliminate long-standing chronic inflammation so that you can break yourself free of pain and stiffness. Diet is a powerful way to balance your immune system's inflammatory response. Find out more ways we contribute to your overall well-being by giving our office in Dunedin a call today!
Dr. Chris Hayes, D.C.