Relieving Sciatica During Pregnancy
No your baby is not pressing on your sciatic nerve
This is a misconception that was invented to explain a higher incidence of sciatica during pregnancy. While pregnancy does not translate directly into sciatica, it does create a boiling pot of factors that can leave you vulnerable to developing this dreaded condition. Less activity, poor posture, a shifting center of gravity, the growing weight of the baby and loosening ligaments in the pelvis all set the stage for sciatica. You know you have it if you feel a shooting, burning pain in one side of your lower back, or a pain that spreads to the lower extremities; tingling and numbness are further symptoms of sciatica. So what can we do about it? At Hayes Family Chiropractic, we have a plan for relieving sciatica during pregnancy.
Don’t let sciatica define the final stages of your pregnancy
If you suspect you have sciatica, be sure to take action by getting in touch with a medical professional as soon as possible- there is no reason to let this pain and discomfort linger. Chiropractors specialize in using natural modalities to ease the symptoms and correct the underlying conditions which are causing your pain. Here is our plan for relieving sciatica during pregnancy:
- Gentle adjustments help to restore alignment in the lower back, with the goal of alleviating nerve impingement, of the kind that causes sciatica.
- Counsel you on pregnancy posture- how to sit and stand while carrying the weight of your baby.
- Provide relaxing massage that improves blood circulation in the injured region.
- Show you how to use heat and ice effectively.
- Help you get inspired about staying active in gentle ways
- Focus on gently strengthening the pelvic floor
Once you have given birth, the struggle doesn’t stop! You may have lingering sciatica symptoms that need to be dealt with. Most cases will resolve themselves given enough time and attention to care, but if you suspect that your sciatica is sticking around just a bit too long, don’t hesitate to check in. At Hayes Family Chiropractic, we are fully-certified practitioners of pregnancy chiropractic and we are standing by to help you have the most successful, easiest pregnancy possible. Give our office in Dunedin a call to schedule an appointment today.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.