From a chiropractor’s perspective, white collar work is a terrifying prospect
While the demands of physical labor are taxing on the spine to varying degrees, the demands of non-physical labor are arguably equally damaging, but less quantifiable. What we can say definitively is that humans were not designed to be sat in chairs for hours on end.
White collar work creates back pain risks
Sitting is the least beneficial position for your spine, and that is being nice. Here’s why:
- Sitting causes compression of the entire spine
- Sitting creates extra pressure on vertebrae and intervertebral discs in the lower back
- Sitting for long periods of time leads to poor posture
- Poor posture while sitting compounds the whole problem many times over, adding more pressure and compression to the spine.
- Sitting for long periods of time with poor posture causes muscle strain and atrophy, as some muscles are overused while others are not used at all.
The natural result of all this compression and pressure is back pain, if not a more serious condition such as herniated disc or sciatica.
Reversing the damage of white collar work
What if there was a natural therapy that could reduce all this compression and pressure that seems to build up while you are working? Decompression is that therapy! And while no treatment can be said to be a magic bullet for back pain, over 50% of our patients report significant reductions in back pain after the first treatment. Spinal decompression is a modality that utilizes a specialized table to gently stretch the spine, creating space between the vertebrae into which oxygen and healing nutrients can enter. The stretch itself feels great, and the treatment goes a long way towards speeding up your recovery time from injury. If you are interested in using decompression to reduce your chronic back pain associated with white collar work, give our office a call to schedule an appointment today.