The tailbone region comes under fire during pregnancy
The tailbone, also known as the coccyx, is a small, triangular bony structure at the base of the spine. It’s crucial location places it among the foremost battlegrounds of back pain during pregnancy. The tailbone is meant to contribute stability to the lower back, stabilize posture, and serves as the connecting point for many pelvic floor muscles. It provides for balance and weight distribution between the hips and supports a number of biological functions in both men and women. During pregnancy, several factors combine to threaten the coccyx region and cause pain:
- Pregnancy hormones
- Growing weight of the baby
- Postural changes and a shifting center of gravity
These risk factors can lead to localized pain in the coccyx, as well as a host of more serious injuries including: Symphysis Pubic Dysfunction, herniated discs and sciatica.
Looking out for your tailbone during pregnancy
At Hayes Family Chiropractic, we believe that the tailbone is an integral part of pregnancy. Because it has the potential to cause so much pain, we want to take proactive care to ensure that the above-identified pressures are mitigated. If you are experiencing tailbone pain during pregnancy, and whether it is mild or severe, we have an action plan to ease the pain and improve the comfort of your pregnancy that includes:
- Chiropractic care: to maintain alignment, range of motion and circulation throughout the spine.
- Pregnancy-specific yoga moves:
- Exercises that increase the strength of the pelvic floor muscles such as bridging.
- Advice on posture techniques to help you carry the weight of your child more effectively
- We also offer tailbone massage that is tailored to pregnancies
Chiropractic care for pregnancies in Dunedin
This holistic approach to tailbone injuries is indicative of the care we take in treating all pregnancy-related complaints. At Hayes Family Chiropractic, we are specialists in pregnancy chiropractic and we want to help you have your most comfortable and successful pregnancy possible. If you are interested in finding out more about our services, give our office in Dunedin a call to schedule an appointment today.